Friday 31 August 2012

UEFA appoint Damir Skomina for Super Cup


Slovenian referee Damir Skomina says it is 'a big honour' for him to be appointed as the centre referee for UEFA Super Cup game on Friday night.
 
The 36-year-old from Koper, on the Slovenian coast near the Italian border continues to make excellent refereeing progress, with tonight's UEFA Super Cup contest between Chelsea FC and Club Atlético de Madrid at Monaco's Stade Louis II.
 
Skomina started refereeing in 1992 at the age of 16.
 
He said: 'At the time I played football, but because of some health problems the doctors told me that it would be better to stop. When I was about 22, they told me I could play again but it was too late – I stayed as a referee!'
 
He added: 'It's a pleasure and a big honour for me. It's one of the highlights of my career, I'm very proud.
 
'The most important thing for me is that I'm in good shape. Psychologically, it's very important for me to be focused, to be able to be calm for the whole 90 minutes so that I'm ready in my mind to take a decision. It's important for the referees to have the match in their hands all the time.
 
'We try to stay as relaxed as possible when we're in our dressing room – we have a choice of music which we like. It's essential that our minds are clear.'
 
 
Aug. 31, 2012. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment